Sunday, August 9, 2015

Dear Lizzy House

IMG_3358
This is Lizzy's quilt in the background, I am still working on mine.
Today the Ottawa Modern Quilt Guild hosted Lizzy House and her Meadow Quilt workshop. Through the amazing kindness and generosity of anonymous friends I was able to attend.
I will be completely honest in that I had no idea what I was getting into. This was my first workshop and my first real “sew-lebrity” sighting. I spent weeks deciding on and then rejecting fabric choice after fabric choice. I would sit for hours scouring the web for the #meadowquilt hashtags. I changed my ideas even up until the middle of the actual workshop today lol.
I was nervous that I wouldn’t “get” the quilt. That I would get frustrated with my choices. That Lizzy House may not like us all and be cold and distant. Or that she would be a flakey artist type and I wouldn’t be able to relate. Online all you hear is how nice she is, and what a great teacher and motivator, and I always wondered where her detractors were. My answer is that she quite likely does not have any.
Lizzy House is a kind, funny, upfront, quirky, sensitive, beautiful human being. From the very first moment I felt like I had known her for years, she didn’t even have to work at making us feel comfortable, we just were. I am not known as a great people liker, I take time to warm up and I am often wary of new people. So I was especially surprised when I realised at the end of the day how perfect a day it was for me. I ended up in quite a bit of arm pain and developed an awful headache but I still feel it was amazing. Honestly, if you can take her Meadow Quilt workshop, even if you have to travel a bit to get there, do. You will only grow as a person and as a quilter.
So thank you Lizzy House. Thank you for your quilt. Thank you for your teaching. Thank you for your sharing. Thank you for your tears. Thank you for your laughter. You have made a difference in my life that I never knew I would get from a quilt class.
Katy

6 comments:

  1. I'm so happy you got a chance to go!! Also what the heck are you talking about "I take time to warm up to people"???? <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Lizzy tops my list of designers! Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome you got to go to such a cool workshop! I can't wait to see your version of the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad I came across this post. I also will be attending a meadow class. It's my first real quilt class and I'm having some of the same issues choosing fabric. I keep telling myself to relax and it will be fun. I just can't wait to get there. Do you have any tips for me, they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your two cents!